The Ministries of our Church
Berean Health & Temperance
Don't be part of Alzheimer's population in 2050!
In the last week of 2010, all of the news networks revealed news about a relationship between your HDL
(Good Cholesterol) and preventing Alzheimer’s Disease!
• Cholesterol plays an important role in the brain, which contains about 23% of all cholesterol in the body. It is believed that HDL cholesterol interferes with the formation of beta-amyloid, the protein clumps between brain cells that are associated with Alzheimer’s disease. High levels of HDL cholesterol also might improve vascular health in the brain. HDL cholesterol might also have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects in the brain.
• The study fits with other work showing that healthy arteries can go beyond improving heart disease risk, said William Thies, vice president for medical and scientific relations with the Alzheimer’s Association.
• “It looks like having good vascular risk factors in midlife is good for cognitive function later in life,” said Thies, who was not a part of the study. “It (the study) is a hint that is not an area that you want to ignore . . . in maintaining a healthy brain,” he said.
• Dr. Jennifer Ashton of CBS News added, “There are two numbers you need to know. You want your LDL or bad cholesterol below 100 And your HDL or good cholesterol over 60.”
• As for the study, Ashton said the findings are based on research conducted on 1,130 people, age 65 and over.
• “(They) divided them into groups based on their HDL or healthy cholesterol number and found that those with an HDL above 65 were at a 60 percent lower risk of having Alzheimer’s disease. This is what we call an associated finding. They didn’t explain cause and effect, but we know very clearly that what’s good for the heart is also good for the brain and vice versa, so that’s one theory.”
• So how can you boost your good cholesterol? Research proves that a PLANT-BASED diet with regular exercise will bring your good and bad cholesterol number in perfect order; this diet is not only good for the heart, but the brain and all other body organs!