The Ministries of our Church
Berean Health & Temperance
7 Benefits of Green Tea
1. Weight loss - Drinking this beverage helps you feel full, so it can curb your appetite. It may also help you burn more calories according to a study published in November 1999, by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
2. Anti-Aging properties - Green tea is rich in the antioxidants vitamin E and C. Antioxidants destroy free radicals that damage cell membranes. Damaged cell membranes lead to diseases such as cancer, heart attacks and diabetes.
3. Asthma relief - Green tea contains a substance called theophylline. It’s a muscle relaxant, so it can cause the muscles supporting the bronchial tubes to relax -- thus reducing asthma’s ability to restrict normal breathing.
4. Lowers blood pressure - If you have high blood pressure, you will be more susceptible to a heart attack or stroke. Green tea may prevent the formation of blood clots which lead to heart disease and stroke.
5. Fights cancer - According to the American Cancer Society, “Green tea contains chemicals known as polyphenols, which have antioxidant properties. Catechins are the major group of polyphenols in green tea. The most important catechin seems to be epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG). EGCG may cause cancer cells to die like normal cells do. It may also work by stopping new blood vessels from forming, a process called angiogenesis, thereby cutting off the supply of blood to cancer cells.”
6. May lower cholesterol - Studies have shown that this drink may help lower cholesterol with no side effects. By lowering cholesterol, the body receives help in fighting heart disease and stroke as well.
7. Guards against infections - In April of 2003 the New York Times reported that its extract has the ability to strengthen the immune system’s ability to fight disease. Microbiologist Milton Schiffenbauer, professor at Pace University (New York) stated, “Our research shows tea extracts can destroy the organism that causes disease. If we can stimulate the immune system and at the same time we are destroying the organisms then it makes sense to drink more tea.”